A plant native to Asia called Centella asiatica (also called cica or Gotu Kola) was used in Chinese medicine to treat wounds. The anti-inflammatory, moisturizing, soothing, and antioxidant properties of cica have made it one of the most popular skin care ingredients. The herb was once used in Chinese medicine as a healing herb; today, it is one of the most acclaimed ingredients in cosmetics. Centella asiatica has a number of benefits for your skin that you should not overlook. Though the research on cica is far from conclusive and still needs more evidence, current results look very promising. According to research studies, Centella asiatica has the following skin benefits:
- It has anti-inflammatory properties, so it soothes inflammations and irritations.
- Enhances skin recovery and consolidates the protective barrier.
- Boosts the antioxidant defense of the skin.
- Prevents skin from becoming dry by increasing hydration.
- Boosts collagen levels and fights cellular damage, thus reducing aging signs.